Your bedroom can be a great escape from the busyness that is life, or it can be another item of that busyness. I think we all want a safe place that we can relax and sleep.
Things I have discovered through making a bedroom I love.
- Find a style that speaks to you: this is a great starting point because sometimes we have a difficult time understanding what you are wanting. If you share a bedroom make sure you both agree on the style before you start. Personally I looked for inspiration online and at Ikea.
- Select a Color Scheme: This can assist you in finding items that will match in a color that you love. Painting your walls is a great way to start the color scheme. Be mindful that you chose a color that is soothing.
- Make Your Bed: Making your bed can have a dramatic effect on your bedroom. Get in the habit of making your bed daily.
- Only own the things that you love: If there are items that you don’t love in your room you can either purchase a new one or you can change it into something you love. If buying a new item is an option for you I would suggest finding high quality items that you really like. If you don’t love an item such as your dresser and buying a new one is not an option right now painting it in a style that you love can make all the difference .
- Lighting: Think about lighting including black out curtains to ensure you get great sleep. Also finding a light source that you will enjoy such a nice lamp or if possible light fixture.
- Keep flat surfaces clear of clutter: If you have something on a flat surface make sure it is either useful or beautiful.
- Flooring: If you can’t change your flooring a rug can make your bedroom feel more inviting. For my own bedroom we purchased a rug that combined colors in our flooring and bed spread.
- Remove the TV: If you can I would remove the TV from the bedroom. The bedroom is for sleeping, relaxing, and other activities that the TV would distract from. If that is not an option for you maybe you can find a location where it is less accessible and not a focal point. A TV can be distracting and is not a good “self care” item or romantic.
- Plants: Adding plants can really spruce up your bedroom. If you happen to have a brown thumb like myself Ikea has some great options in the plant department that are either low maintenance or fake.
- Mindful Photos and Decor: Select photos and quotes that you enjoy and want to see daily. For our bedroom I found a great frame set and selected photos that I love and I found quotes that really resonated with my husband and I.
- Try Bed Curtains: To create a more distraction free sleeping area bed curtains are a nice option. Personally I use a bed curtain and found that it helps me sleep better because I am not distracted by the outside world. They can also feel very luxurious and/or romantic.
- Have fun: Lastly it is so important to have fun creating a bedroom that you love.