We are well into spring and with that comes the need to declutter and clean. I started my Spring cleaning with decluttering this year to make the usual process more enjoyable as I saw an immediate impact in my home. I then moved on to the usual spring chores. Below was my spring cleaning process.
Items to Declutter for Spring
- Do a Quick 30 minute Declutter Sweep Around the House: Set a timer for 30 minutes and go through each room and remove any clutter or garbage that you see that doesn’t belong or spark joy. If you end up with more momentum this task can be extended as needed.
- Decorations around the house: When we have decor up for at least a year we tend to not see it anymore. You may notice that you have items up that you no longer love.
- Gifts from the Holidays: Review the gifts you received from the Winter Holidays and donate anything that it either replaced or no longer sparks joy. Remember that gifts are meant to spark joy for the giver and receiver, however if it no longer does don’t feel guilty about donating it. A good tip is to ask for gift cards or experiences instead.
- Kitchen Items: Do a quick clutter sweep of the Kitchen by setting a timer for 20 minutes.
- Pantry, Fridge, and Freezer: Throw away expired food and donate food you no longer need or bought to try and didn’t love.
- Closet and Dresser: As the weather changes review your cloths and get rid of anything you didn’t wear the last 2 seasons. Also if you changed in size at all be sure everything still fits and is in good condition. If you haven’t already implement the hanger method of reversing the hanger. If you have not rotated the hanger back and worn the item in 12 months then donate that item. This is a simple way to see what you are wearing and will help you in Spring and Autumn.
- Files: Warranties expire so be sure to go through your files to make sure you are keeping only what you need and still applies.
- Medicine cabinet and beauty supplies: Beauty supplies and medications do expire and with flu season almost over it is a good time to discard expired items.
After some decluttering we move into the usual spring cleaning check list.
- Windows: Clean inside and out, as well as the track
- Blinds, shutters, curtains: Clean with vinegar and a sock for blinds, and throw the curtains in the wash.
- Walls and baseboards: Use a mop and simple cleaning solution of bleach and water
- Carpet and flooring: Vacuum all areas and wash hard floors with a mop and rent a carpet cleaner for carpet.
- Behind and under large appliances: pro tip for an oven you can remove the drawer and clean under it without moving the oven.
- Fridge and freezer: Cleaning bleach and water and a cloth
- Light fixtures and fans: Clean using a sock with water and vinegar
- Air vents and filters: replace air filter and clean vents with a shop vac
- Washing machine and filter: Drain filter and clean filter with vinegar. Run an empty load with vinegar, baking soda, and detergent.
- Bedding, pillows: Baking soda and vacuum the bed then flip over. Bedding and pillows can be cleaned in the washing machine with vinegar, baking soda, and laundry detergent.
- Clean under all furniture: Vacuum, mop, and/or carpet clean
- Oven and Microwave: Baking soda and vinegar with a scrub brush
- Dish washer: I cup of vinegar on the top shelf otherwise empty, run a full load.
I like to extend the spring cleaning into several weeks so I don’t feel overwhelmed. Doing one small chore at a time really helps break down the process. As always be sure to share any tips you have that weren’t mentioned and enjoy your spring cleaning!